Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dying (Earth) Characters

You might be thinking to yourself "What can I expect to find here in the future and why the f**k should I even read this pile of drek?" My answer would be "I dunno, you have a sick need for self punishment?"

Another answer might be that I am going to write as often as I can, perhaps even every day (yeah, that is a rather grand thought!) and what you might find here are a great many things. I plan on doing reviews of books and films, games, miniatures and a host of other things. Also, you might see me muse on the campaign I am running at the moment, and I am gearing up for a big one. It is going to be a kind of Dying Earth + Conan/Solomon Kane world with a bit of Lovecraft added. I am also thinking of a new mechanic whereby the Wizard can cast spells of a higher level than they are allowed traditionally by instituting a spell failure percentage. The greater disparity between their highest level allowable spell and the spell they are trying to cast will incur a 5-10% deduction from their percentage chance to successfully cast a spell. Also, if they completely nail the spell (roll a 1-5%) on the attempt then the spell will have added bonuses in its effects.

More about that when I figure it out.

So far for the summer campaign I have a Druid, a Wizard, a Paladin, a Halfling Thief and (perhaps) a Barbarian. A nice mix to be sure, but the best part is that I told each player that they had to play a character class that they had not played before. I think that this will be a nice way to mix it up. Another added bonus is that I am using a spell list for wizards that is not in the PHB, they are all spells that have a more Dying Earth (Jack Vance) flavor to them.

It should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment